How to Evangelize as a Christian
As Christians, we have a call to evangelize to others in the world so that they can know Jesus Christ. Before Jesus left the earth, He gave us the Great Commission recorded in Matthew 28:19-20. “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
Evangelism is a role every believer of Jesus Christ is to play so that those who do not know Christ can find their way into the Kingdom of God. The challenge for the average Christian is how to evangelize when they feel like they are still trying to master the Bible.
God Empowers Us to Evangelize
God does not call us to evangelize because we are experts at it, but because He empowers us to do it. He gives us power to be His witnesses around the world because it His Spirit that does the work of drawing unbelievers to Himself. In Acts 1:8, we receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon us and we can then be witnesses of Jesus around the world. Instead of fearing what you will say to others when you share the Gospel, have faith that the Holy Spirit will speak through you.
God Has Equipped us to Evangelize
God has given us gifts and abilities that help us evangelize in unique ways. He has given each believer spiritual gifts to use in sharing the gospel with others. 2 Corinthians 12:8-10 lists these gifts which the Spirit gives to each Christian. Some believers have the gift of evangelism according to Ephesians 4:11, and a call to evangelize full time. We may not all have the gift of evangelism but God wants us to evangelize to those we meet in our everyday lives.
Your divine calling is an opportunity to evangelize. Whether it is the chatty neighbor, stranger next to you at the airport, or long lost friend, you can share the Gospel with them. God gives us opportunities to share His love with others around us so that they can believe in Jesus.
How You Can Evangelize as a Christian
You’re probably looking for practical ways to evangelize to those you come across. There are many ways to do so but we will look at a few of them.
- Share your testimony. If you are in a fellowship or group of people and they ask you how you overcame a particular challenge, tell them it was with God’s help. Go on to explain how your faith in Christ helped you deal with the issue and that if they believe in Jesus, He can do the same for them.
- Share the Gospel with strangers. You meet people every day as you move around and if you get the chance to talk to someone you don’t know, you can share the good news with them. You can even ask them if they are saved, and if not, tell them how then can know Jesus.
- Create pamphlets. There are many online tools you can use to create Gospel pamphlets and share them with others. You can keep some in your bag and use them when you need to give someone who wants to know more about salvation. Share digital pamphlets with others through email or other online platforms.
- Use your social media accounts. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and other social media platforms give you the opportunity to share the Gospel with others. You may not personally know those who follow you on social media but you can share with them Bible verses and wisdom from the Word of God. Many are looking for how to know Jesus and when they come across your message they will be blessed.
- Create a YouTube channel. If God calls you to create videos and share them on YouTube, you can take that opportunity to share the Gospel. God’s desire is that we bring others to Him and He uses many avenues to do this. You can also start a podcast and post it regularly with the message of Christ.
- Start a blog. God has called some Christians to start blogs and share His message with others. A blog is a good way to share the Gospel because many people are looking for answers online and may not go to church to find them. Your blog will give them with the answers they seek.
- Answer questions on salvation. I’m sure you have been in forums where people want to know what salvation is and you can answer their questions. The Bible verses you memorize will help you put your message across.
- A T-shirt with a Bible verse. Biblical messages on apparel inspire others to turn to God. Some people will even ask you a question based on the message on your T-shirt. Look for a Bible verse, question, or statement that is a good conversation starter. Once the conversation starts, you can evangelize to the other person.
- An unsaved friend asking for advice. It’s interesting how your unsaved friends come to you for advice when they are in trouble. They are expecting you to help them from a spiritual perspective. Take this time to explain how Christ is the solution to the problem they are encountering and how they can know Him.
- During lunch break with your colleagues. When you have a chance to sit with your colleagues during lunch, you can evangelize to them in a way that inspires them to know God. Once you share the Gospel with them, do not push them to get saved, allow the Holy Spirit to minister to them.
Evangelizing as a Christian is made possible by the opportunity God creates for us to tell others about Him. It is His desire that the world will be saved and chooses to use you in His mission. Partner with God today and see others come to Christ.